Psychology Chartered

Specialist Trauma Services

Specialist psychological assessment and treatment/therapies is often required for children and adults with acute and chronic post-traumatic psychological difficulties. The service includes:

  • Broad psychological assessment to inform differential diagnosis of post-traumatic conditions
  • Recommendation regarding treatment appropriateness/readiness and prognosis
  • Assessment of complex, multiple trauma, chronic post-traumatic conditions and co-morbid conditions (e.g. social anxiety, depression, psychosis)
  • Delivery of treatments, longer term follow-up and review
Get in Touch

What is it?

With specialist knowledge of trauma, clinical psychologists treat people with complex or severe trauma conditions. Following detailed assessment they can provide advice, referral on to other agencies and/or a treatment plan specific to the individual.

Treatment could include trauma based cognitive-behavioural therapy, Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) and psychodynamic therapies.

More Information

HPC Registered clinical psychologists with specialist knowledge and expertise in post-traumatic stress disorder and adjustment will deliver assessment and treatments across a range of venues local to the client. Initially, an assessment via clinical interview and use of psychometric measures is undertaken with possible liaison with other professionals or teams.  Treatment might take the form of regular therapeutic appointments delivered at a clinic or consulting room local to the client across the south of England.

What are the benefits to the client & referrer?

  • Provision of highly specialist expert report to the courts
  • Treatment for complex and chronic conditions associated with traumatic experiences reducing hospitalisation and reducing costs of other mental health services
  • Early interventions and advice regarding self-care/management in the acute stages
  • Informs and reduces risks associated with post-traumatic symptoms e.g. substance misuse, self-harm and psychiatric admission
  • Early intervention reduces risk of symptom escalation and maladaptive coping associated with waiting list delays
  • Ameliorating psychological distress and reduces longer term costs associated chronic, unresolved post-traumatic conditions
  • Education and support for partners and family members reducing stress, risks and family breakdown

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I know if I need to see a Clinical Psychologist?

    You might be ‘referred’ by a health care professional (e.g. GP, psychiatrist, nurse or medical consultant), after experiencing single or multiple traumatic events, associated psychological difficulties or life changes. Following referral, a first appointment is usually offered to undertake an assessment to determine if specific psychological advice, support, treatment or follow-up is appropriate. You can ‘self refer’ by contacting us and requesting an appointment although it is often very helpful to be referred by your GP or a professional who knows about your background and situation.

  • Who will I see?

    You will be seen by a qualified Clinical Psychologist, with specialist experience and training of working with people following trauma. They will be registered with the Health Professions Council.

  • What will happen at the appointment?

    The Clinical Psychologist will assess you, often in some detail. This is likely to involve asking questions about the background to your difficulties, symptoms, your thoughts/feelings about your situation or condition and how these might be interfering with your everyday life, in terms of relationships, work and your day-to-day functioning.

  • What will happen after this appointment?

    By the end of the appointment, you will have discussed your own thoughts and wishes and a plan of action will be agreed with you about what options might be available. These might include:

    • Referral on to another relevant professional e.g. medical practitioner or therapist (this will not be done without your knowledge and consent).

    • Recommendations for further appointments with the clinical psychologist to explore the difficulties further and find ways of helping. This might include the use of specific psychological treatments including cognitive behavioural therapy, EMDR, interpersonal therapy and family based treatments.

    • Practical recommendations to help you cope with symptoms, changes and risks.

    • Preparation of a letter/report to the referrer which you can request a copy of.

  • Could I get this service on the NHS?

    There are usually clinical psychologists in your local NHS Trust but your home address will determine what public services are available to you, where they are based and waiting times etc. You can often check this with your GP, Medical Consultant or we can investigate where you might find out this information.

  • Will my health insurance cover this assessment?

    Health Insurance policies are very different in the level of cover provided. Some policies also specify conditions that need to be met in order for cover to be granted. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have clarified this with your insurer before confirming any appointment offered.